Should I Ever Plead Guilty To Criminal Charges In Kentucky?

An innocent person who appears in court without a lawyer is like a fish out of water; don’t be that person. The prosecutor’s job is to prosecute, and the judge’s job is to move cases through the system as quickly and efficiently as possible. Prosecutors don’t like to dismiss cases, they don’t want to hear excuses, and they’re never on the defendant’s side. In fact, they will encourage innocent defendants to plead guilty. No one should throw themselves on the mercy of the court or assume that their story will be heard. A defendant’s story can only be advocated by a good lawyer who knows all the players in the courtroom.

How Does A Prior Arrest Or Conviction Impact My Current Criminal Case?

A prior criminal conviction will affect bond. There is a conception held by many that good people do not have criminal convictions and bad people do, so having a record of criminal behavior automatically paints a defendant in a negative light. If someone has a prior conviction, they should not go to court without a lawyer.

Are There Alternative Punishments To Incarceration Available For Criminal Offenders In Kentucky?

In Kentucky, first time offenders are eligible for diversion, which diverts a case outside of the criminal justice punishment system and gives the individual a chance to redeem themselves through community service and similar activities. If an individual successfully completes diversion, which includes being monitored by law enforcement for a period of time, then their case will be dismissed and they will not have a conviction on their record. If someone has a prior conviction, they might be able to receive probation or house arrest as opposed to a jail sentence. House arrest allows a defendant to live in their house and go to work each day, as long as they abide by a curfew or agree to wear an ankle monitor.

For more information on Pleading Guilty To Criminal Charges In KY, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (859) 341-2500 today.