Driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs, alcohol or a combination of both is illegal in the state of Kentucky, as it is in all fifty states. When a driver is facing the potential consequences that come with a drunk driving offence, he or she will want to know how to avoid or alleviate as many of these consequences as possible. When you are charged with a DUI you will probably find yourself facing life altering penalties, even if it is your first offence. So, try to educate yourself on what you are up against. It is best to hire a DUI attorney and prepare a defense strategy. The first step is to understand exactly what you are facing and the penalties that could come with a DUI conviction.
How Your Life Will Be Impacted By A DUI Charge
- The Impounding Of Your Vehicle
- Employment Prospects: A DUI charge can put your professional reputation at risk.
- Civil Lawsuit: If someone else was injured as a result of you driving while intoxicated, you may face a civil lawsuit in addition to criminal charges. Both types of prosecuting can be emotionally and mentally challenging to deal with.
- Car Insurance: Car insurance rates always go up after a DUI conviction. On average, the increase is 80%. And some insurance companies will just cancel your insurance.
- Personal Relationships: Getting a DUI charge or conviction can put strain on your close relationships, including those with your family and significant other.
- Completion Of A Drug And Alcohol Treatment Program
- Mental Health: One more significant way that a DUI can affect your life is something that many people don’t consider: your mental health. Criminal charges and convictions are inherently stressful. Even the experience of being arrested can bring on feelings of anxiety or panic. Additionally, surviving a drunk driving car crash can bring on post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
The price for drunk driving in Kentucky is steep, and some of the specific penalties you could face if you plead guilty are severe.
What’s The Right Approach For Your DUI Defense?
You need to prepare a defense strategy uniquely suited to your case and your objectives. As soon as possible after your arrest, you will benefit from seeking an understanding of your legal options. One of the first things prosecutors focus on during a DUI case is your driving pattern. They routinely have the DUI arresting officer testify that you were driving in a manner “consistent with” someone who was under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Often, this so-called “pattern” includes allegations that you were speeding or weaving within your lane. Above all, remember to be upfront with your attorneys. You can tell them anything even if it’s not going to help you. The evidence you are holding in your head may just be able to help you, but you will not know that unless you are open and transparent with your attorney.
Contact us (859-341-2500) for a Free Consultation!
About Grubbs & Landry
At Grubbs & Landry, PLLC, we are dedicated to personal and friendly service. We manage our practice in an ethical, cost-effective manner to best help our clients resolve their legal issues with the least expense possible. We pride ourselves in advocating for our client in divorce, child custody, and child support matters as well as other family law matters. We are active in prosecuting personal injury cases-recovering for the injuries our clients sustain due to the negligence of others. Additionally, we help our clients prepare for the future through the preparation of Wills, Power of Attorney and Living Will.